If you’re in the process of moving, or about to start moving, or you’ve only just considered making a move, there is one thing you need to do – DECLUTTER.
This is your big chance to get rid of all the junk hanging over your head. For one, there is no point in paying to move stuff that you should just get rid of. It’s a waste of money. Also, this is your opportunity for a new start! Trying to find spots to cram your clutter into your new house is not the best start!
So before you pack a single box, read through this list and start decluttering.
- Start throwing things away early – The earlier you start, the less daunting the task will seem. This also gives you time to either try to sell your items online or have a yard sale instead of just tossing them out.
- Consider the size of your new home – Before you start deciding what you want to keep, you should keep in mind how much space your new home has. But don’t use a bigger house as an excuse to keep all your junk! Clutter is clutter no matter how much space you have.
- Start by getting rid of these top items – There are several things that people hold onto out of sentimentality or a case of “what ifs”, but if there is anything from this list lying around your house, GET RID OF IT!
- Still boxed – If it’s still boxed up from the last time you moved 10 years ago (or even 2 years ago), then it won’t be missed!
- Haven’t worn it in a year – Barring any special occasion clothes, if you haven’t worn something in that long then it either doesn’t fit your body or it doesn’t fit your tastes. Either way, it should be donated.
- Books and magazines – These are some of the heaviest items to move, so if you’ve read them once and don’t think you’ll ever touch them again, donate them to your local library.
- Extras – Extra towels, extra dinnerware, extra bedding, extra anything. It’s not needed and should be tossed.