With the excitement and nerves of a big change, it’s too easy to forget some important tasks or do them out of order (some things are best done BEFORE the house is full of boxes). Before you start packing, make sure to check out this moving checklist so nothing gets missed!
- Turn on utilities – The seller will have the utilities shut off on closing day, so it’s important to schedule the transfer of all utilities to your name before then (this includes internet & cable). You don’t want to show up with a truck full of your belongings only to discover that there is no electricity.
- Do a deep clean – There is no better time to ensure every nook and cranny is dirt-free than when the house is empty.
- Change the locks – This should be one of the first things you do after moving in. It’s a basic and easy safety precaution to ensure only you have access to your house.
- Test smoke & carbon monoxide detectors, and alarm system – Make sure that these systems are fully functional to protect your home from emergencies.
- Tackle major home renovation – If you want to repaint the walls, refinish the floors, or do any other major renovation, do it before you move in. This increases the chances of the project actually being completed.
- Buy fire extinguishers – Get one for each floor of your home and know how to use it. The worst time to buy one is after the fire has already happened.
- Forward your mail and update your billing address – Alert the post office, banks, credit card companies and any other financial institutions of your new address so nothing gets missed.