Selling a house might not seem that complicated, but there is an art to it, and it’s easy to make a mistake that could cost you a deal. Beware of these 5 things when listing your house.
- Pricing your house too high – Many sellers overestimate the value of their house because they’re emotionally attached, and they want to leave room to negotiate. But this tactic could just prevent any offers from coming in.
- Skimping on professional photos – You may have the best house on the block, but you will have trouble getting any buyers through the door if you don’t have good listing photos.
- Trying to make home repairs yourself – You may have to do some repairs before listing, and while tackling them yourself may save you some money, it could turn out disastrous. It’s best to leave it to the pros.
- Staying around during showings – Even if you don’t say anything to the buyer, staying in the house during a showing is awkward. Best practice is to leave the house ten minutes before the showing and stay away for the duration.
- You let your ego get in the way – Some sellers are so fixated on getting full price for their house that they completely dismiss any reasonable offers below that. If you aren’t willing to negotiate, then you probably aren’t serious about selling your house.