Renovating your house is an exciting adventure that can easily get out of hand. There are many disastrous decisions that can be made – going over budget, hiring a shady contractor, or realizing that you don’t like the color of your newly installed countertops.
It is essential to be prepared if you want a successful home renovation. Here are 5 things you should do to avoid a major headache.
- Know what you like – Spend time researching, save pictures of kitchens you like, and figure out exactly what you need to do to your kitchen to be happy.
- Run the numbers – Before you get too carried away designing your dream home, you should price out what’s most important to you and create your budget around that.
- Decide if you’ll DIY or go pro – If you want to do some of the work yourself, be realistic about your skills and the amount of free time you have.
- Test run your colors and materials – Order samples of everything you will be putting in the room – carpet, fabric, tile, etc. – and spend a few days looking at them in the room.
- Time it right – Renovation projects tend to run over schedule through no one’s fault. Weather, out of stock materials, and other tricky situations can and will delay your project, so plan your renovation with ample time built in.